Sunday, January 28, 2018

Quick Tips for a Faster Triathlon

I have been doing triathlons since I was six years old and I have raced in hundreds of triathlons throughout my life. So, I have put together some tips and tricks to being faster without having to do any more workouts than are already required for top performance in triathlons.

When you show up on race day, after collecting all your things from race registration like your numbers, you will be setting up your transition area. In most triathlons this is located in one place, however I have done a couple where there were two different transition areas, one for the swim to bike and the other for the bike to run transition. For this post we will assume that the triathlon has only one transition area. The way that you set up your transition space can potentially save a few minutes on the time that is spent in the transition area, which means more time making progress toward the finish line. If you have shoes that clip into your bike pedals I would clip them into the pedals before the race begins and use rubber bands attached to the shoes and part of your bike to hold the shoes in a horizontal position. Using the rubber bands will make it easier to put your feet in the shoes once you start riding your bike. Putting your shoes on while riding, if you start with your shoes clipped in, is a skill that you will have to practice a few times so don't show up to race day and do this if you have not practiced. If you do not have shoes that clip in than place the shoes that you will be using for the race at the edge of the towel closest to the direction that you will be running in from the swim. With all of the shoes that you will be using for the race open them up so that it will be easy to slide your foot in, applying Vaseline to the edges of the shoe where your foot will be entering will also make it easier to get into and help prevent blisters. A tip that I always remember when I am running through transition is "slow is smooth, smooth is fast". Working slowly means that every movement is calculated, which means it will not be jerky and will help you not forget anything in transition. Being smooth is fast because it only takes one try to do everything. Often times when we are rushing to try and do something we will mess up and have to start over which is just extra time.

I have different shoes for biking and running so my biking shoes will be clipped into the bike and my running shoes will be on the ground. I use a race belt to hold my number because I wear a tri-jersey (similar to a bike jersey but designed to fit tighter to the body) and tri-shorts (like bike shorts but they have less padding in them so that you can run in them) throughout the entire race including the swim, so if I would have to pin it onto a jersey and put that on once I got out of the water. Using a race belt and triathlon specific clothing can greatly reduce the amount of time you spend in transition. I place the race belt stretched out on top of my running shoes so that it is easy to grab and clip on when I am ready to put it on.

The swim will be the first portion of the race, for many triathlons it is an open water swim, so if you are not a strong swimmer I would advise using a wet-suit if the race allows. The wet-suit will help you stay on top of the water because it gives you some extra buoyancy which can give an ease of mind and a little bit of extra speed through the water. I am a stronger swimmer so unless the water is extremely cold I prefer not to wear a wet-suit because it takes to long for me to get it off in transition that it would negate any benefit gained during the swim.

For the bike portion of the race there are some small skills that may help you through it, but to be honest purchasing better gear, although extremely expensive, will give you a much larger advantage in the speed and efficiency areas of the bike. Learning how to use your gears to adjust for hills or wind is important and will help you be a more efficient biker, maximizing speed and efficiency.

The run portion is a difficult part of the triathlon, you just got off of your bike and now your legs feel like jello. Starting off the running with a shorter stride and a quicker tempo can help you flush out the jello feeling in your legs faster, allowing you to slowly open up your stride through the first mile. Properly fueling while you are on the bike is also crucial for the run portion, if you stay hydrated and fueled on the bike you will have a much faster run and it will be a lot less miserable. Running while dehydrated and low on fuel is an awful feeling and can be very dangerous if it is hot outside.

The best tip I can give you is to have fun. Your attitude toward the race can actually have an effect on your performance, and what is the point of doing it if you are not going to enjoy it.


1 comment:

  1. Duggan, these are some very interesting tips to improve your time during a triathlon. The part where you talk about having your shoes already clipped to your bike and riding while putting them on is pretty impressive. I am missing the part where you talk about wearing floaties for the swim... I am a terrible swimmer so I probably would not make it past the first portion of the triathlon. I give you props for finding a passion in this sport. Continue to work hard and you will have success in these events.

    ReplyDelete