Monday, March 12, 2018

The Secrets to Joy

I had a long drive home for spring break and to pass the time I listened to an audio book my sister had recommended to me called "The Book of Joy" by the Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Abrams as the co-writer. The book was written to share the views of the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu on how to have lasting happiness in a world which can bring so much suffering. I found this book to be very inspirational, and it helped view some things in my life from a different angle and it the advice given in the book can help change your views of the world. The book is split into three overarching sections. The first section is a discussion on the nature of true joy. The second section then looks at what the obstacles are to true joy, and the final section is a discussion on the eight pillars of joy.

As I was listening to the book I often found myself drifting off in thought after a point was raised and I would miss the bit of the book as I was thinking of how what they were saying applied to my own life. So, when I got home I purchased a hard copy of the book so I can go through it again at my own pace more carefully and thoughtfully. There were stories told by both of the great leaders showing they have not lived easy lives, and joy is not something they have simply because the positions they hold or something they have that others do not. One of the first things that struck me when they were discussing how to obtain joy was that it is not something you can pursue. Joy instead comes from other areas of our lives when we are not focusing on ourselves and our own situation. Throughout the book a point is brought up by the Dalai Lama, when we experience suffering we should focus on all of the other people in the world and their suffering. There is a quote by C.S. Lewis which says "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." I think the second part of his quote is often what the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu are talking about when they say to receive joy one of the best ways is to bring joy to others.

There are so many good things brought up in the book about living a life filled with joy. I would highly recommend the book to anyone looking to live a life full of joy despite the things in the world that cause us pain and suffering. It is well written and one of the few books that I will read more then one time to help refresh and renew my perspectives on the world around me. I have found myself asking how I have helped other people at the end of each day and view my daily struggles as opportunities to find joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment